Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Links! Peanuts, Mome, more


Yes, it's time for another link roundup here at Articulate Nerd.  I want to try and alternate these posts with posts featuring original content, but most of my free time lately has been spent reading David Foster Wallace's excellent (and, like, really, really long) novel Infinite Jest.  Now that I'm finished reading that formidable tome, I should have more time to read and review comics.  I hope.  I also haven't had time to read most of the pieces I'm linking to here, but don't let that stop you!

*First up, a couple of links related to Fantagraphics' quarterly anthology, Mome, which is celebrating it's fifth anniversary.  That's the subject of this interview with Mome editor Eric Reynolds at Robot 6.  Also worthy of your attention is Rob Clough's review of Mome vol. 19 for The Comics Journal.  Seems like Rob liked this newest issue as much as I did.  That D.J. Bryant story was the star of the show for me, but almost every contribution to this volume knocked it out of the park, and Clough does a great job examining each story.

*I'm really looking forward to reading this interview with Charles Schulz's widow, Jean, about the future of the Peanuts franchise.  Ditto this article on upcoming plans for Peanuts merchandising, which I'm guessing may cover some of the same subjects as the interview.

*Here's a good one for the weeks leading up to Halloween.  The great Richard Sala is posting portraits of various nefarious looking characters in a blogging project he is calling "Unmasked." (via The Comics Reporter)

*Jog used to post long pieces of comics criticism on a regular basis, and now does so only occasionally.  He remains the best he is at what he does, so this long essay re: Alan Moore's Neonomicon #2 is certainly worth noting.

*Sean Collins (who is also responsible for the Eric Reynolds interview linked above) is blogging his way through Los. Bros. Hernandez's comics masterpiece Love and Rockets this month, and supplements that ambitious project with this previously posted interview with the superhumanly talented cartoonists.

*Holy crap, Josh Simmons comic Cockbone is online! (Um, NSFW)  I've wanted to read this for quite some time.  Simmons also has work in the new issue of Mome.  It's all coming back to Mome this week, which is why I've chosen to illustrate this post with Simmons' cover to the new volume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home